Project-Team TAO Thème Apprentissage & Optimisation common team to INRIA Saclay and LRI
HistoryThe cross-fertilisation of machine learning, knowledge discovery and evolutionary computation is the main motivation for the PCRI TAO project, created in 2003 and merging most of the I&A group with part of the former INRIA Fractales group. On the one hand, evolutionary computation offers unrivalled opportunities for machine learning and knowledge discovery, specifically for investigating non-convex learning criteria and controlling the trade-off between the computational resources needed and the hypothesis quality (any-time algorithms). On the other hand, evolutionary computation will highly benefit from a principled, machine learning-based, exploitation of the wealth of data generated by an EC application. This data is at the moment poorly exploited, if at all.
The I&A - TAO group involves six highly coupled research themes that are detailed in their respective pages (see below).
- Autonomic Computing
- Crossing the Chasm
- Complex Systems
- Continuous Optimization
- Optimal Decision Making under Uncertainty
- Reservoir Computing
- Read the 4-years report written for the INRIA 2003-2007 external evaluation.
- Browse the yearly activity reports on the INRIA web site
- Directly download the corresponding PDF files
Introductory bibliography (in progress)
- A very short introduction to Evolutionary Computation (A.E. Eiben and M. Schoenauer, Evolutionary Computation, Information Processing Letter 82(1):1-6, 2002.
- Une introduction un peu plus complète, en français